While I was working on our Big Girl Room Makeover post I wanted to make sure and provide a source list and stay accountable to my budget goals for the room. Spoiler alert, I was not only able to stay within the budget I had, but I came in lower than expected. You know what that means, more budget to spend on other fun projects.
If you saw the original moodboard post I highlighted most of my sources, for memories sake I will re-post them here:
Source List –
- Room and Board Hudson Queen storage bed – This was the first piece of furniture we bought as a married couple. It is walnut and has ample storage in the four large drawers underneath. It has been in storage for two years, so we are excited that our daughter can start using it.
- Heart Prints from Jenny’s Print Shop – This is such a cool website with a wide range of cool prints for $15 and advice for where to get them printed.
- Ikea Ranarp plug in Sconces – I bought these for the kids last room and never got around to hanging them.
- Bright Lab Lights – Re-purposing from the kids previous shared room.
- Wall mounted custom night stands. I built these, but this is a similar design.
- Ikea pink herringbone curtain panels and rod.
- Pom-Pom Bedding – I am going to re purpose an old white duvet and add pink DIY pom poms along the edge. I figure this is a budget friendly way of adding some girly pink to her new room without having to buy a bunch of new bedding.
- Heart Sheets by Pillowfort at Target – her in store choice.
- A few baskets with DIY pom pom and tassels for toys and stuffed animals. I re-used some I had around the house. But these are a few of my current favorites. If you don’t want to make your own Pom-Poms I like these on etsy.
- Likely a gallery wall opposite the bed.
Things not shown here that I ended up adding-
11. Leaning walls ladder from this source.
12. 24″x36″ Picture Frames for my Jenny’s print shop prints.
So now that I have listed the sources. Here is the breakdown of what I spent…
- The Bed was re-purposed – $0
- Jenny’s shop prints – $30
- Ikea Sconces – Found in the garage. $0
- Bright Lab Lights- Re-purposed $0
- Custom Nightstand – Built by Moi $0
- Ikea Curtains plus curtain rod hardware $47
- Pom-Pom yarn and tools $25
- Queen Pillowfort Sheets $33
- Baskets were re-purposed $0
- Gallery Wall wood $25
- Leaning Wall ladder $33
- Picture Frames x 2 $55
- Other Art, frames and clipboards $25
Grand Total $273
Well under my original $450.00 goal..YAY!!
I’m thrilled with how the room turned out and even happier I was able to re-purpose a lot of items that I have been lugging around for years. Obviously this budget is not what it would cost to revamp an entire room. My point in showing this info was two-fold, first to keep myself accountable and second to share ideas that can help you make over a room with things you already have on hand.
- Always use Michaels Coupons to get discounts on craft materials, picture frames and spray paint. I recently found out that Michaels also accepts competitor coupons from Joann’s and Hobby lobby. If you didn’t bring a hard copy, no problem, just quickly google Michaels coupons while you shop and it will direct you to their website. Also sign up for their emails to learn about the best deals.
- Making pom-poms is time-consuming and may or may not have caused me to have carpal tunnel 😀 Before I commit to a craft/DIY like that in the future I think I should try one or two first ;P I probably spent 8 hours making all of those Pom-Poms.
- Take stock of things you aren’t using and decide if there are ways you can re-purpose them in the new space. As the saying goes, “Shop your home” as often as possible.
I hope these resources and tips can help you for a future project. Thanks for reading and keeping me accountable 😛